Sadly for me, Brookline does not have a scoop shop, and I'll be with a small, not-so-T-transportable kiddo that day, and then have class that night, so I won't be able to enjoy the festivities. Boo!
In an effort to focus on the positive rather than the negative, I'll share a few favorite cone day memories with you all (in chronological order - not necessarily order of importance):
1. Freeport, ME - the place I discovered that there was such a thing as a free cone day. What a glorious day that was.
2. Middlebury, VT - I walk down to the Ben & Jerry's with a few friends and we stand in line not one, not two, but THREE times in a row, to get three rounds of free ice cream.
3. Boulder, CO - after talking it up for at least a month, I end up missing free cone day because I was flying back from my grandfather's funeral. My co-workers take me out to my own personal free cone day when I get back.
4. San Francisco, CA - drag my co-workers on a forced march to stand in line for free cones in the middle of the work day. Meet up with a friend later for another round.
5. Davis, CA - after realizing that most of the scoop shops in SF had closed in the past year, and that I'd be doing a day trip to Sacramento with another co-worker, we arrange to meet a former co-worker who lives in Davis (which, conveniently enough, had a Ben & Jerry's) for lunch and ice cream. Beautiful sunny day... cute kid near us with dark chocolate ice cream all over his face, hands, and clothes... a perfect free cone day.