Monday, April 21, 2008

On the Positive Side...

I hate being sick. HATE being sick.

During the first day or so of an illness (cold, stomach flu, whatever), I am grumpy and generally not all that fun to be around. I usually confine myself to my room and disconnect from the world for a while.

After my body goes through the initial shock of the illness, and has regained the upper hand, I begin to return to my usual self. This can mean anything from showering and getting dressed to eating something solid. As I get my strength back, my sense of humor returns too, and provides me with a bit of a coping mechanism.

For example, every few years I get an awful coughing sickness. I have no idea what it is, but it keeps me up coughing all night. I walk around like the living dead for a week or so, and load up on all sorts of medicines that don't really help, and it sucks. But every time I have gotten this awful coughing sickness, I have eventually gotten to a place where I can joke and say, "Well, this sucks, but at least my abs are getting a good workout!"

So wouldn't you know that today, just as I had found the silver lining in this past weekend's sickness ("Well, this has sucked, but maybe I lost a few pounds!"), I got a text message from a concerned friend reminding me to try to eat or drink because I "need the calories".

I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I mean, I'm not a cow or anything, but I'm far from wasting away after a day of no solid foods. Still, the sentiment was sweet. We should all be so lucky to have friends like that.

No comments: