Monday, August 06, 2007

Rotting My Brain (but in a socially conscious way)

So I live in a home with no cable. Well, let me clarify: we have cable. Our landlord, who lives downstairs from us, pays for cable, and shares it with us. But she doesn't much care about what she watches, apparently, because she only pays for basic cable.

And when I say "basic" I mean basic. Network television and about ten Catholic channels and that's it. No TNT. No MTV. No ESPN. No NESN.

But sometimes, every now and then, our basic cable turns into what other people would call "regular" cable and I can watch Sox games and all the Law & Order reruns I want. Not sure why we get little blips of regular cable, but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I watch Sox games to my heart's content and love every minute of it.

On a somewhat related note, I found out today that GLAAD has released their "Network Responsibility Index" and ABC (which used to be my least favorite network, but with the introduction of both Ugly Betty and Brothers & Sisters this year, it's my new favorite) placed highest as an LGBT-friendly network. So at least I can feel good about rotting my brain when school starts up again in the fall. :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep hoping for a NESN cable miracle myself. My new house has basic cable, which I always understood to include NESN, but alas...what is the point of having cable w/o NESN?

smukai said...

You New Englanders and your NESN....

This from a New Englander without a lick of access to NESN.

D'oh.