Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What did I expect, really?

So after it became fall overnight a few weekends ago, with evening temperatures in the 40s, summer made a surprise return over this past weekend. (That's a good thing.)

But then it got really humid and gross out, as it tends to do here in New England. And today was one of those sticky, gross kind of days. (That's not so good.)

I left my house this morning - in the usual rush to get to my babysitting job on time - and realized about half way there that I had forgotten to apply deodorant. What I also realized, in my train of thought thinking was "Hey - I think I forgot to put deodorant on this morning... It's a pretty sticky day out already and it will only get more so later... Wow, I'm gonna smell gross... I bet all this humidity means it's going to rain soon... Maybe I should have checked the weather before I left home, or at least packed an umbrella just in case..."

But of course, I was running late, and half-way there before these thoughts entered my head, so I kept going, and arrived at my job on time. The day didn't get any less humid, and my armpits didn't smell any better, and finally, just before class, I went to the bookstore to return a book and bought myself a stick of deodorant so that I could stand to be near myself for the 5 hours of class I had ahead of me.

Armpits properly deodorized, I headed to class... and then to my next class... and then headed outside with my classmates so I could walk home. As we approached the door, I noticed a few droplets of water on the glass. And then noticed that the pavement outside was looking pretty wet. Yes, indeed, it was raining.

Good news: it never rained all that hard, and it was still pretty warm out.

Bad news: It's about a 1.5 mile walk back to my house from school.

Could I have taken the T? Sure. But then I wouldn't have been able to take this photo:
Lending credibility to the theory that if you don't take your umbrella with you, it will most definitely rain.

No comments: