Monday, August 14, 2006

Day 14: Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

States: MA to NH to ME
Driving Hours: 5.5

“Home” is an interesting concept for me right now… Where is it, exactly? Is it in Boston, where my carload of possessions got dropped off this morning? Is it in Central Maine, where I now sit with my parents in the quiet night? Is it at summer camp, where I’ll be this weekend to catch up with friends from ages ago with whom I shared secrets and adventures throughout my childhood and early adulthood? Or is it still back in California – having lagged behind while I moved east, not quite ready to let go of my my life on the west coast?

Yes. It is all of those places. It is all of those people.

Home is the smell of Tim’s cooking while I catch up with Jme on the couch. It is the quiet of sitting in the living room with my mom while my dad does the ironing. It is having breakfast on the astroturf at the Poolside Cabana. It is a road trip across the country with my sister. It is the smell of pine trees and the sound of loons. And it is now Boston too, where friends - new and old - will help make this unfamiliar place a welcome one, and where many adventures will engage and empower me and move me into the next phase of my life.

No comments: