Friday, August 25, 2006

Ho Hum

Well, here I sit on a rainy August afternoon, not quite sure where to begin unpacking, but recognizing that now that I have hangers and shelves, at least SOME things can get unpacked.

The first few days here have been productive, but also draining. My first (full) day here, I spent the morning on craigslist trying to find furniture, and then spent the afternoon at an interview for my internship. Yesterday, I did more craigslist work, helped a friend move in the afternoon*, picked up shelves from all around town, and had dinner with a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time.

Today, I have managed to buy soap, inquire about a lot of furniture that I won’t end up purchasing, and open a bank account.

It might be the rain (or the exhaustion setting in from the marathon day I had yesterday), but I seem to have lost my motivation today. It’s hard moving to a new place. I knew that before I got here, but the reality of it is hitting me now.

I’m trying to take my own advice – advice I gave to a friend who just moved a few months ago – and do at least one major thing every day so that I can feel like I'm making progress. Yesterday it was getting my bed, today it was setting up my bank accounts…

Eventually I’ll have a routine and be so busy that I won’t have time to sit around and miss my life in San Francisco. I know that, of course, but on a rainy afternoon, when all my Boston friends are at work, and I am staring a lot of boxes, it’s easy to get overwhelmed.

And now, as my moment of self-pity comes to an end, I will open up some boxes and begin the unpacking process. I don't know what is in any of the boxes, so it's a little bit like Christmas ("Hey look! A power strip! Woohoo!").

P.S. A special shout-out to the new link to the right: Brother Matt's blog There are No Bad Experiences. More to come when I have time to work on the blog again, but that will do for now.

*Please note the appropriate wording on the side of the truck: America's Moving Adventure: Massachusetts

No comments: